We aim to provide a deaf-friendly environment at The City Church meetings, and as part of this, BSL/SSE interpretation is available at the second Sunday Morning Service at our Canterbury location most weeks.
We also run weekly sign language training to help hearing people communicate with deaf contacts and to learn how to sign songs for worship. These are run as part of the Deaflinks programme of events, led by Lyn Gregory.
We hope to reach into the local and wider deaf community with Jesus’ love and his good news of salvation, hope and freedom.
We want to be ‘deaf-friendly’ people, who reflect Jesus, and to grow in awareness of how to do these things through the gifting and enabling of the Holy Spirit.
We meet informally in homes on Wednesday evenings from 7-8:30pm for signing sessions in six week batches, followed by a couple of weeks’ break.
How Can I Get Involved?
- Ask God for a growing deaf awareness personally and corporately, and pray into the ministry, too.
- Take opportunities as they arise as a group and as individuals to link with the deaf community, such as going to a deaf pub and holding mixed hearing/deaf social events such as bowling etc.
- Join our informal ‘learning to sign’ sessions, and learn signs for worship, conversation and bridge building communication.
- Sign worship songs in church.
- Move towards specifically deaf-focussed activities in a church context.